Monday, August 26, 2013

Washington Trip Haul


As I finished posting about Seattle last week I was thinking about what next to post about from our trip. A mini-haul came to mind so embarked to photograph and document each item I purchased while in Washington. During that process I discovered that the auto focus on my lens had broken when my niece head butted my camera thus the photos aren't as sharp as I normally try to make them. Thankfully it was a cheap lens I had bought that is easily replaced.

I'm a book lover, a bookaholic, a book hoarder even. I was only able to bring 2 books with me up to Washington and I quickly read through those prompting me to consider buying more. I discovered that Washington is THE place to buy books, especially used books! This made me over the moon happy and I bought my heart out at 3 different bookstores. The first time I needed books was when we were in the San Juan islands which wasn't the best spot to run out of reading material. Thankfully we were going to Friday Harbor which is a larger ferry port and tourist town so they had an adorable little used bookstore.

Serendipity Books was a jumbled up messy bookstore that smelled like books and was filled with people reading the books and searching for that little treasure. The books were semi organized by genre and of course I went straight to the mystery nook of the store. About 3 years ago, maybe a little less, my dad told me about Agatha Christie books since I loved the BBC shows about them so much. I fell in love with them instantly and I've read almost all of the ones the library has regularly. I bought 4 of them at Serendipity books:


I had read The Secret of Chimneys before and loved it and I was so happy that I now own a copy of it. Maybe sometime I'll do a favorite Agatha Christie/books post. Hmm... Anyway I bought those 4 books and 3 others at Serendipity. I read the Sherlock Holmes books at about the same time as I read Agatha Christie and I was quite pleased to find a copy of some of the stories I hadn't read there. I was planning on getting Les Miserables from the library to bring up to Seattle but didn't want to risk losing it and I'm lazy at renewing books online so I picked it up when I found it at the bookstore. 


The next 3 books I bought at 3 different bookstores. The top book came from Serendipity Books and is the sequel to a book I already own. The middle book I bought at a little used bookstore in Country Village right near my grandma's house. It's the first book in a series I actually finished while I was flying to Seattle and is written by one of my favorite authors, Anthony Horowitz, who also wrote the Alex Rider series, one of my favorites. The bottom book is 4th book in a 7 book series that I bought at Third Place Books and is kind of scifi but not. It's hard to explain but is a really good series that Littie somehow found. 


I suppose I'll continue with what I bought at Third Place Books. Third Place is my absolute favorite bookstore in the whole wide world and I would spend all day there if I could. I always demand that we go there every trip at least once, if not twice. We went there the first time and I bought 2 books, the book above and one of the books below. 


I bought Inkspell the first trip and Inkdeath and the series below on the second trip. Ordinarily we don't go twice but I was gifted graduation money the day before we left at a restaurant in the same shopping center as Third Place Books which was a wonderful coincidence. I of course bought large books that trip which I had to carry onto the plane with me, actually I ended up carrying around 6 books plus my big Bible with me in my carry on. :) 

I did in fact buy other things besides books, although it was a struggle to spend money on something else. ;) My family has always been a Playmobil family starting with my brother. He had boy Playmobil which was passed down to us and to which we added on lots more Playmobil. While the Playmobil now resides in a bin in the garage we still go to the toy store Discover Toys each trip. Discovery Toys is the toy store version of Third Place Books in that it is a wonderful store full of different kinds of toys for all ages. We have always bought our Playmobil here and I plan on buying more of it the next time I go up. I wasn't planning on buying any this time but when I saw that they had a woman with a stroller I had to. I envision her as being a nanny even though the packaging said that she was a mom. Whatever Playmobil. Littie also purchased some Playmobil when I found a swimmer with a block. 


However before I bought any of those things I bought something downtown. I babysit/nanny a little guy who is about 7 months or so and who I missed terribly while I was gone. A day didn't go by where I didn't think of him and so I bought him a Seattle onesie at a tourist store downtown. His mom visited Seattle once and liked it so I figured it was a safe bet to think that she would like the onesie. 


While this next item, or items rather, isn't something I bought I still thought I'd include it. I've played piano for a few years now and really missed playing while I was in Seattle since my grandma doesn't have a piano (she does have a broken organ but it's too awkward with my hands being on 2 different levels for me to play). However my Aunt Becky does and I was able to play at her house once on the trip. No one plays piano anymore besides me so I helped myself to some of the music stashed in the piano bench. The piano book is actually a book I'm borrowing from my piano teacher right now so now I have my own copy to play as much as I want. :) I found some music for a waltz that looked pretty along with Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring which I love playing. The piece de resistance was finding Phantom of the Opera music. I bought a book of Phantom of the Opera music but I accidentally ordered it for the viola, not very helpful for a piano. 


And that's everything I bought and was given in Seattle! Actually that's not true since I bought some flowers downtown to put on my brother's grave. You can see them in this post. I hope you enjoyed it and I'm sure I'll find other things that I did in Washington to blog about! Until next time!







No comments:

Post a Comment